One of the great benefits of Southwest Airlines is the number of different places they fly in the United States, the Caribbean, and Mexico. If you have Southwest flights out of your home airport (or an airport that is close by) – there is a real advantage in getting the Southwest Companion Pass. For me, my home airport is General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee (MKE).
Benefits of the Southwest Companion Pass
- For the current calendar year and the next calendar year you can select a person to fly with you, free of charge.
- Once you’ve made a selection for the person who will fly free with you – you can change who that person is three (3) times over the course of the companion pass being active.
- NOTE: The initial selection can be done online. Any subsequent changes will require a call to Southwest Airlines.
- There are no blackout dates for your companion. The only requirement is that you are flying on that same flight, as well.
Steps to Acquire the Southwest Companion Pass
- Fly 100 flights within a calendar year (more difficult)
- Earn 110,000 points (easier)
Ways to Earn 110,000 points with Southwest
- Actual flights
- Credit card sign up bonuses (Southwest partners with Chase)
- Look for increased sign up bonuses for the SWA credit card (50,000 points / sign up possible)
- Typical increased bonuses come out a couple of times each year
- Shopping Portal (Can be found here)
How Do You Know You’ve Earned the Companion Pass
Once you’ve earned the Southwest Companion Pass, you’ll receive an email, similar to this:
Status screen from the Southwest website:
The Southwest Companion Pass is an excellent tool to make flight on Southwest even more reasonable – whether you pay with points or pay with $.